Wednesday, January 24, 2007

this whole week has been quite different as I could see new faces in black blazer, walking back and forth with their files..and i guess they're the new chambies...i dont really know them but somehow some of them stopped me and "fad!!!"..and i was "ya..."as i was smiling and telling things that they were asking me..right there at the back of my head i was kinda busy doing some thinking..figuring out their names and what batch they belong to...i kept on talking to them as if i know their names..

i know its kinda bad of me not to remember people's name...but believe me that i do care to know them..sometimes as i was walking up and down the court, someone who i barely knew who happens to be the court staff..lawyers..addressing me by my name and the usual remark "adik firhat kan??"..and later i would straight away ask my brother who that and this person is..because i guess its kinda rude not to know people's name who know you...hmm..this chambering experience really taught me a lot..my words of advise to these new chambies.."go through these 9 months..once you've completed it...you've won a battle.."..yes indeed its true..all the hard work..judges' idiosyncrasies..a normal standard of bureaucracy..the "im the next greater person after the judge" interpreters' attitude...loopy clients...accountability to various people...this is what chambering is all about..all in one package...many have forfeited it..and yet the ones who still survive are obviously the sole survivors...

but the good things are way beyond words could explain..as today..ive got a matter in the High Court..after mentioning the case..the client..Madam See sat next to me and we started talking...she told me her side of sad story..how her husband got cheated by a friend at the expense of her house to be sold..how people have been doing bad things to her...and she told me about her good Malay neighbors...how they respect one and another..and suddenly she cried..and i told her that to me she is a good person...good things will come along...as long as we do the right thing..never put an end in doing good things...but to people who have been doing bad things..they will get it back in no time..she asked me "you too believe in that?"..i told her.."yes..because God knows everything.."..she wiped her tears...and i told her..things are gonna be fine...

No comments: